Linggo, Setyembre 11, 2011

Competition to Collaboration

It was December 18, 2010 when the architect based in California started developing his gate concept with an engineer who was in Malaysia. Few days after, the first pass design illustration of the gate concept was posted online. It was viewed by other technical & non-technical individuals in the US, Canada, Asian and Middle East countries, who have eyes on arts and been asked to give comments.  That gate is now constructed in the Philippines. Imagine those participants who are from various parts of the world gathered together online to come up with one common objective, and they are the alumni of INCAT Batch 90.

For some it is unthinkable for a concept champion to relay and let his idea turn to illustration by another designer who is the other side of the globe. And with other critics that are scattered around the world. Now that we’re in the age of information technology, it is not impossible anymore. We can now transfer and receive information in real time. There are many ways to communicate and stay connected with one another. So, ladies, don't ever believe when your man tells you that he lost his cellular phone as his excuse for not getting in-touch with you. Oh well, that is just in the side, let’s get back to what the real subject is. One other thing that surprised B90 alumni was on how that architect's idea was developed by a structural engineer and produce construction drawings with just a description; without any sketch, and done in just a short period of time. It is an illustration of the classic idiom "they speak the same language"; and a product of fruitful collaboration. And the real unthinkable is that how collaboration existed between them, whereas, jealousy started even before their high school days. How can that jealous engineer take comments and criticisms from her opponent that she envied for a long time?

Yes, I was jealous of Emmanuel Viray Jr. Whoops don't get me wrong, it's not because of a lady, I'm not what you think I am. I was so jealous that when I saw him in our drafting class in second year high school, I said out loud, "what is this guy doing here!". He wasn't been in that institution when we were in 1st year!! I just recently knew that he transferred from Manila. His parents wanted him to enroll in other university in Ilocos Norte but he insisted of having his highschool studies in INCAT. Fine, it is not my institution anyway, so why should I stop him.

Wondering why? Perhaps even Jhun Viray himself never realized. And to tell you about it; it started when we were in grade five. I joined an art competition with so much confident. I was the champion and representative of our district in the Laoag City division level. The subject: Mother and Child (uh, so easy!). Art style: Abstract (oh no, I'm dead!). I still did my best though, not looking at my competitors' work. I completed my art piece and submitted to the committee. On my way out of the room where we had the on-the-spot art competition, I saw a familiar face. He was my classmate in grade two, Jhun Viray. I wasn't even sure if he recognized me so I just smiled at him and took a glance at his art work. But that glance was followed by another glance, and then I couldn’t help but to stare at his work. My Lord, it is over! I still can clearly recall how amazing his work was; an elementary student made a piece of art which anyone would think that it was made by a professional. With my shoulders hunched I turned around and said, “It’s not my day”. I left without even waiting for the result ‘coz I knew how it would turn-out.

Thankfully, I transferred from Shamrock ES to Gabaldon ES after grade two. Otherwise, with Jhun Viray as my competitor, I wouldn't have been in the division competition nor in the district level. Or not even the school representative. Second year high school, there he was again, surely, he would standout in our drafting class. And with my other brilliant drafting classmates, where would I be? I just said to myself, "someday I will show him that I am better than he is in other aspects". Hmm, I can dance and try to have a good projection, be as graceful and poised as possible; while he creates awkward movements and with distorted face while beating his drum set. Do I sound bitter?! I don't care!
With Julius Pascua
Jhun with distorted face
During the online design competition for our gate project, Jhun was one of my drafting classmates who I believe would give good design. But he suddenly became quiet from his usual active participation in our online discussions. So I sent him a message asking how he’s been doing and if he could share a design for the project. And there he was, enjoying the triumph of his favorite basketball team, San Francisco Giants. I envy his talent alright, and I believe that he absolutely can create a design that B90 will be proud of. We never had a project together since we started with our careers and I truly appreciate that he gave his trust on me with just a description, I will be able to put his idea to illustrations. Line by line, I carefully analyzed his words and study his thoughts. With his constant guidance and my acceptance to his criticisms, his imagination turned into illustration.

I believe that this is one of the guiding principles that were used in the project implementation of The ARCH. And we should use in our day to day activities. Being a follower doesn't always mean that one is weaker than the leader. It does not matter what level or position we are in an organization. We all have our unique strengths, talents and capabilities that we discover, identify and use where the organization needs.

Well used talents are deeply appreciated. INCAT Batch 90 is loaded with talented alumni that we never had to outsource almost everything we needed in our activities. The INCAT Batch 90 logo that denotes the alliance between the class alumni of 1990 and the institution they came from; designed by Arch. Davis Antonio who was awarded to be the best in our drafting class. I was surprised when I found out that Jonathan Tayamen is good in graphics illustration. He is a computer engineer okay, but never saw him make a good art work during high school. His talent,  I would say later discovered, was used in creating the ad illustrations, souvenir designs and ticket layout. Another person who significantly shared the given talent was not in drafting class; those who designed stage set-up during highschool. Not even in the dressmaking class. Joel Dul-Loog, a well-known fashion designer in Ilocos Norte, artistically decorated the venue for the 90@20 event and the Unveiling. There is no doubt about the exceptional gift of Joriel Guerrero, who has numerous collections of paintings with various art styles. His collections will be included in the proposed B90 exhibit; where part of the proceeds will go to the B90 fund which will be used for the upcoming projects.
Davis Antonio's Design
The ARCH Souvenir Items; Layout by Jonathan Tayamen
Joel Dul-Loog's Design
Joriel Guerrero's Painting
These talented Batch 90 alumni, and more, are scattered around the globe and gathered together to unselfishly share their skills and knowledge. And no matter where we are, what we have been through, or if competition exists; as long as collaboration prevails in every step of the way, a team will succeed. For Batch 90, there was a pleasant transition from competition, collaboration to deeper amity among us.

Amity – one more noteworthy guiding principle further developed while turning illustration to reality. Amity in The ARCH; this is another write-up about INCAT Batch 90 and The ARCH to look forward to.



Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento